12 Porter Street      |      Melrose, MA 02176

(781) 665-1552

Knowing the Common Symptoms of a Severe Dental Issue

It is essential to take care of our teeth and gums on a regular basis to maintain good oral health. This includes brushing and flossing regularly and visiting the dentist for regular checkups. 

Taking care of our teeth and gums can help to prevent serious dental problems from occurring or worsening. Additionally, good oral hygiene can positively affect our mental health, as it can help boost our self-confidence by giving us a healthy, attractive smile.

Dental problems don’t go away on their own and can become more severe if left untreated. If you experience any pain, sensitivity, or discomfort, it is crucial to seek professional dental help as soon as possible.

Dental issues can have a serious impact on our well-being, as the bacteria from them can be spread through the bloodstream and cause harm in other areas of the body. If you have any symptoms or signs that could be related to a dental problem, it is important to get it looked at by a qualified dentist. Possible signs include:

Chewing Pain

No ache compares to the sharp discomfort of a toothache. This kind of pain intensifies quickly when eating, potentially a sign of infection, a cavity, or even a much more severe condition like oral cancer. Even if the pain subsides quickly, it could still be an indication of a major dental issue.

If you experience a sudden, sharp toothache while chewing, it could be a sign of a problem with your tooth. It’s important to have it checked out right away by a dentist to avoid any further damage. If the pain disappears, it’s still a good idea to examine it as soon as possible to ensure the issue is addressed.


Dentin hypersensitivity is a problem affecting the teeth wherein the enamel layer is thinned, exposing the underlying dentin layer. This can lead to discomfort when consuming hot or cold food and beverages, as the exposed dentin is prone to sensitivity. The thinning of enamel may be caused by receding gums.

Anti-sensitivity toothpaste can be an effective solution for people suffering from tooth sensitivity, but it should only be used after consulting a dentist. A dentist can examine the underlying cause of the sensitivity and recommend an appropriate treatment.

If you experience sudden pain when eating or drinking hot or cold food, it is vital to figure out the source of the pain. This pain could be caused by a number of things, such as tooth decay, harm to fillings, exposure of tooth roots, a cracked tooth, or thinning of the enamel.

Mouth Lumps

If you notice a single or multiple lumps in your mouth that last longer than two weeks, it could be a sign of a serious oral health issue. It’s essential to get these lumps checked out by a dentist right away, even if they don’t cause pain or discomfort. Don’t wait, as the lumps may indicate a more severe problem.

Lumps in the mouth can be the result of many different things. An abscess or an infection can be to blame, as well as oral cancer. It’s important to have any lump or spot evaluated by a dentist to determine the cause and get the most appropriate treatment. This is especially true if you use tobacco products, drink alcohol, or have other risk factors.


Addressing dental issues is vital for overall health and well-being. If a dental problem does arise, it is crucial to seek professional treatment as soon as possible to ensure the best possible outcome. With the proper preventive measures, individuals can reduce the risk of developing dental issues and maintain a healthy and beautiful smile for life.

Are you looking for a dentist in Melrose Park? Turn to Melrose Dental Group. We offer patients comprehensive dental care. We firmly believe in educating patients about their oral health and recommending custom dental treatments. Call today!

12 Porter Street, Melrose, MA 02176 – phone (781) 665-1552 – fax (781) 665-5826
Copyright © Melrose Dental Group | Dr. Piro Leno. All rights reserved.

 Melrose Dental Group | 12 Porter Street Melrose, MA 02170 | (781) 665-1552